Wednesday, November 1, 2017

November 1, 2016

Our pledge presentations continue this week as we hear from Steve A. about his experience with St. John's and why he pledges.
=====================================
Good Morning, Family.
Our journey with the Episcopal Church started 5 years ago in a rural town in Southeastern Indiana.  We were invited by a friend to attend a presentation hosted by PFlag on the LGBT community and religion.  I shared my story of being told by a church when I was 13 years old to wear a rubber band around my wrist and that every time I thought about someone of the same gender I should pull the rubber band away from my wrist as far as I could and let it snap back to help break me of this habit.  I told other stories of rejection I experienced in the church growing up as well and that I had not attended a church for over 25 years due to this rejection. 
The lady sitting in front of us was the rector of Christ Episcopal Church in Madison, IN, and she turned around with tears in her eyes, handed us a business card and said, “You are welcome at our church."  This was said with such love and acceptance and genuineness that we went to church there that Sunday.  We were confirmed a year later with a group of people that included a lesbian couple and a transgendered woman who cried when the Bishop laid hands on her head.  This was rural Southeast Indiana.  The healing we experienced by being welcomed into a faith community was transformative beyond words. Being in a church as myself was something I had never experienced before and missed it more than I knew. 
When we left Madison and moved to Hagerstown, we were sure we could never have that experience again.  Kyle coined a term for this fear called, “Parish relocation anxiety” and we talked on the phone with our rector as she encouraged us to try the local Episcopal church.  Three years ago we walked though those doors and, almost as soon as our back sides hit the pew, Sara Ann and Will  appeared out of nowhere and the welcomed us with love.  They took us all over town to show us the best restaurants, Krumpe’s Donuts, and made sure we knew where to go to get what we needed.  They welcomed us to this church and to the community.  In an instant, the love we felt in Indiana was multiplied ten-fold.  What a God we have!  This was truly a place of love and kindness.  The liturgy here continues to bring me to tears at times.  The choirs and this magnificent organ are beyond beautiful and choke me up every Sunday.  We love this place.  As I look out today, I see some of the best friends we ever had.  I can’t tell you what that means to us. 
But that welcome, love, healing, and grace shown to us these past five years was just the beginning for me.  I found quickly that what I received, beyond measure, only multiplies exponentially as it is given away.  So, quickly, my work as a psychologist had new meaning and almost limitless joy.  Working on the search committee and watching God bring Father Todd, Joelene, and Cece to be part of this grand cause was a breath-taking and joyous experience for me.  Giving time, treasure, and talent with you, together, as a family, through love, has been the most beautiful experience of my life.
Someone reached out and connected with me, with love, and that love and grace changes lives.

While we all are different and arrived here today from different places and experiences and backgrounds, we move forward together as a family by reaching out to others and working together to share this most beautiful of gifts with all.
=======================================
Thank you, Steve, for your words this past Sunday to all who were present, and thank you for allowing us to publish them to a wider audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment