Wednesday, October 16, 2024

October 16, 2024

Wednesday Word:  Rest

Last weekend took an unexpected turn when I received a phone call Thursday evening confirming the fact that I would officiate the funeral of Korina Bartlett on Saturday.  I had had a conversation earlier that this might happen, but I was never contacted . . . until Thursday evening.

So Friday morning I met with a family member and ironed some things out, then I went into the office where Monica and I quickly produced a funeral bulletin.  And on Saturday I did the funeral where Korina was laid to rest.

Sunday was Sunday with our first livestream worship on the new system.  There were a few glitches that we’re working out, but in general it went well.  And then Joelene and I met with the youth group later that afternoon.

Monday, Indigenous People’s Day, was a day off for me.  It came at just the right time and I didn’t do a single productive thing.  I slept in.  I thought about what needed to be done, and then just planted myself on the couch, watched a few mindless shows, and dozed off a few times.  It was a day of rest that I needed.

Also on that day, the Diocese of Wyoming returned a couple of hundred Native American artifacts that had been in its possession since the 1940’s back to the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone from where they came.  Click here to read the story.  After being stored away in Casper for many years, these items were returned home to rest.

Rest can show up in a variety of ways, and my idea of rest may not be the same as your idea.  Nevertheless, we all need to find space to rest.  I hope your rest really is restful, and you can recharge, reconnect, and be at peace.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment