Wednesday, February 28, 2024

February 28, 2024

Wednesday Word:  Different Eyes

Joelene and I were part of our first Youth Group gathering here at Saint Luke’s this past Sunday afternoon.  We had a total of seven kids, which isn’t bad for our first time out.  We spent time learning about our names, what schools they attended, and their interests.  We set norms for the group, ate walking tacos and brownies, and played a game of Bible Pictionary which probably ended in a tie.  We closed out our time together by praying Compline (pg. 127 in the BCP if you’re looking for a good way to end your day).

I also asked if they were comfortable giving me their contact information so we could keep in touch with events and reminders.  A few of them even asked if they could sign up to receive emails from the church so they could participate in Lent Madness. 

All in all, it was a good time.

On Monday I put together a Youth Group email group so that I could just type SLEC YG in the “To” box without having to type each individual email.  After doing that, I went to send my first email to the group . . . and only two names came up.  I put much more than two into the group, but that's all that ever came up.  I spent 30 – 40 minutes trying to figure out what was going on; but no matter what I did, I only had two people in the group.  I finally called tech support, and Monica came into my office.

After showing her what was going on, she said, “You don’t have emails for those other people.”

And there it was, clear as day . . . I had only entered emails for two people in the group.  After updating each contact, I found that I had the right number of people in the group.

Sometimes it just takes a different set of eyes to see the problem.  Sometimes it takes a new set of eyes to see differently.

This Lent, as we work to make a right-beginning, as we examine ourselves, our conduct, and our practices, and as we spend time in prayer, fasting, and study, what is something that you have seen in a new way because somebody else showed you a different way of seeing?  What is something old and familiar that you’ve seen in a new way?

May we always be open to seeing God and ourselves in new ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment