Thursday, November 9, 2023

November 8, 2023

 There's a Monday morning prayer group that meets every week at 9:00 in Onderdonk Hall, and this past Monday was my first time with this group.

As we began, we were asked about our senses -- taste, touch, sight, hearing, and smell.  What did we notice?  What did we feel was most important?  What were we most thankful for?

We went around the table offering our own thanks for a particular sense we found important.  When it came to me, I gave thanks for what I hear in all the various ways.

I am thankful for hearing children's voices on Sunday who, after I said, "The Lord be with you," gave a very enthusiastic response of, "And also with you!"

I am thankful for beginning to hear the stories of the people here at Saint Luke's.  I am thankful for hearing about people in the hospital or who might need a home visit.  I am thankful for hearing the concerns people have about the situation with our Bishop.  I am thankful for hearing about the hope people have for our future together.  I am thankful for hearing from Joelene on a daily basis.

And this past Saturday, when the uncertainty of our house sale loomed large, and the insurance company mistakenly deleted coverage on the wrong car, and having a credit card company establishing and sending a new card with the wrong address, and the Maryland Toll Commission saying our account was invalid despite having the correct number right in front of me, and wondering about the right time to cancel electric, internet, and garbage, and do I need to do two change of addresses?  With all of that running through my head I was thankful for the sound of water.

On that beautiful Saturday afternoon, I found myself on a bench over Clear Creek just sitting.  I sat and I wondered about all of the above and how this was going to work.  And I sat and listened to the sound of the running water.  Somewhere in there I heard the voice of peace.

Water has a way of doing that for me; whether it's a running creek or the crashing waves of the ocean, hearing moving water has a way of calming me and reminding me that God is near.

As you sit with God, which one of your senses helps steady you?  Which one of your senses helps bring you close to God?  If you don't know, take some time to find out.

Blessings,

Todd+

No comments:

Post a Comment