Wednesday, August 28, 2019

August 28, 2019


Football and Church

I often say, “There's a lot of similarities between football and church;” especially as the season gets closer. I don't necessarily go looking for the similarities, but they do seem to pop up on a regular basis.

Last week I was out doing my preseason running, minding my own business, doing my sprints along with the regular morning dog walkers whom I've come to be friendly with, when a car that usually drives on by parked near me. A professional-type gentleman got out and said, “Excuse me. I hate to interrupt your workout, but do you live around here?”

My initial thought was that I was being busted by the HOA enforcer for not living within the community. So I said, “Yeah, I live over that way,” pointing in the general direction of some houses and hoping I wouldn't have to defend myself too much more.

“Oh, okay. Well I've seen you out here quite a bit and I was wondering what level of football you work?”

I told him I work high school games in the county. And he said, “I'm going to retire soon and I was thinking that refereeing is something I'd like to do once I have the time.”

So I gave him my name and number, told him to give me a call next April/May, and I would be glad to get him hooked up.

“How is this like church?” you may be wondering. Over the course of my thirty years of being involved with officiating football, I have asked many, many people to become referees. As far as I can recall, none of those people actually took the plunge and got into this hobby I love so much. However, there have been a few people who have known I officiate, or, as this most recent gentleman did, saw me doing my thing and approached me to ask questions as to how they could get involved.

Over the course of my lifetime in the church, I have asked many, many people to come to church. As far as I can recall, none of those people actually took the plunge and got involved with this faith and church that I love so much. But there have been a few people who have seen what I do, or who have seen what the church is doing, and approached me to ask questions as to how they could get involved.

Sometimes evangelism isn't about telling people about your faith in an attempt to draw them in; sometimes evangelism is simply about living your life as a follower of Christ and letting your light shine so that it attracts others to you. And then you can tell them about this faith and church that you love so much.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment