Wednesday, August 9, 2017

August 9, 2017

I have accepted a call . . .

With those words I notified the Vestry on August 11, 2016 that I would be leaving the parish at the end of September and begin serving the parish of St. John's on November 1. On August 12, the official notice was broadly distributed to both parishes.

It was on August 2 or 3 in which I had a conversation with David Davis following up on my visit to Hagerstown. my wife and I had plenty of time to talk it over (being stuck at BWI helped), and came to the conclusion that this was the place. It was during that phone call where I accepted the offer to become the next rector of St. John's. And knowing how things happen, I asked that we keep silent and coordinate our announcement until August 12, allowing me to notify my Vestry first.

The time frame on my arrival in Hagerstown was presented as, “How soon can you get here?” But she had a diocesan D.O.K. meeting to coordinate, and I was in the middle of overseeing a somewhat major construction project that raised the chancel floor, moved the altar forward, and sent the choir behind the altar. Add to that the issue of finding a place to live and being able to see friends, family (and the Pacific Ocean) one last time before heading east – and that's how we settled on a November 1 start date.

With the help of several friends, we got packed up and planned the trip. I worked the first half of the football season before saying goodbye to that amazing group of men. Movers were selected, a car was shipped, and the great western farewell tour was underway. Stops in Seaside/Cannon Beach and Portland, OR; Olympia, Puyallup-ish, Wenatchee, and Spokane, WA; Sheridan and Bozeman, MT; Rapid City and Sioux Falls, ND; Someplace in MN; Chicago-land, IL; Detroit-area, MI; Canton, OH; and finally Hagerstown were on the itinerary. All along the way we saw friends and family and a few unexpected sights.

Many of you have heard this story before. Some have heard bits and pieces of it. I apologize if I'm repeating myself.

But the reason I'm making this the topic of today's Wednesday Word is that I looked at the calendar last week and realized that it was just about a year ago when the official announcement was made, and it seemed appropriate to recognize that.


My family and I have been here not quite a year. In that time we have felt welcomed and loved. Yes, there have been a few moments of difficulty, but there has never been a time when we think we made the wrong decision. As I look back on this past year, and as I reflect and write this edition of the Wednesday Word, the word of the day is . . . joy. That one small word expresses exactly what it means to be here. I hope you find this place to be as joy-filled as we have.

Blessings

1 comment: