Wednesday, September 28, 2016

September 28, 2016

Hiatus

This is a Latin word meaning an opening or a gap.  We most often use it for a break in some regular aspect of our lives.  Today I’m using it to reflect the status of the Wednesday Word.

For the past several years I have written one of these brief meditations every week.  But it's now time for a break.  That break, that hiatus, isn't due to being worn out or to writer's block or to a lack of material, but to my upcoming move from one side of the country to the other.

This week we are scheduled to have our belongings loaded onto a moving van and sent back east.  For our part, we will be leaving the place we have called home for close to six years on October 1 and head east to Maryland and a new home, new town, new beginning.  We have said our goodbyes here (or will be saying the last of them shortly), and will be making our eastward trek via Washington, Montana, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, and finally to Maryland.  The whole thing will take us about three weeks.  If everything goes according to plan, the moving van will show up the day after we arrive in Maryland.  That will give us just under two weeks to unpack and settle into the new place.

While we are traveling I will be taking a break from writing the Wednesday Word.  I'm sure that this time on the road will offer plenty of inspiration for future writings, but it will also be good for me to not worry about producing a weekly message while traveling across the country.  I do promise that I will begin writing these brief meditations in November.

For those at St. Luke's, you will no longer be receiving them via e-mail (see the October Luke's Log and my Ramblings regarding the proper protocol for a departing priest).  However, I have created a blog where I post each piece every Wednesday.  You are more than welcome to read them there.

For those at St. John's, you will have to wait to begin receiving them again during this October hiatus.  And if you want to know what I’ve written about in the past, you are also welcome to visit my blog.

I'm looking forward to the break.  I'm also looking forward to sharing mid-week meditation beginning in November.

Until then,

May the Lord bless you and keep you;
May the Lord make his face to shine upon you
and be gracious to you;
May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you,
and give you peace.

Amen.

1 comment:

  1. May the Lord keep you safe on your travels, and may all the little gremlins of flat tires and missed turns avoid you.

    ReplyDelete