Wednesday, August 12, 2015

August 12, 2015

The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.
John 1:5

Depending on the day or the schedule, my alarm normally goes off at 5:16 a.m.  I have it set at that time because, basically, that's when my wife and I need to roll out of bed in order for the two of us to get up, get moving and get out the door before 6:55 (her) and by 7:05 (me).

I am one of those lucky few (or abnormal few, if you talk to my wife and daughter) who wake up with the first glimmering rays of morning sunshine, bright and cheerful, and without the need of coffee.  I often wake up with either The Beatles' Good Morning, Good Morning or Dear Prudence running through my head, as they are both good morning songs.

The problem with all of the above, though, is that I wake up with the morning sun.  That means that during the winter months I revert to what my wife would call “a normal person,” because the sun doesn't appear until 7 or later, and I am not so chipper when having to get out of bed in the dark.  I still don't require coffee to get moving, but I do move slower and morning songs are not generally running through my head.

If you haven't noticed, we are on the downward slide.  Sunrise here in GP doesn't occur now until well after 6 a.m.  That means that, from the time my alarm goes off, I am spending one full hour in the dark.  For some, this time of darkness is an inconvenience, a time when alarm clocks become necessary.  For others, this time of year begins the downward spiral of seasonal depression or sense of malaise generated by spending more time in the dark.

No matter how long it takes for the sun to rise, whether it happens at 5:13 a.m. or 7:27 a.m., the sun does rise.  Every day the earth spins on its axis and causes some place that was dark to move into the light.  Every year the earth revolves around the sun in such a way as to provide more light in the summer and less light in the winter.  But regardless of whether it is December 21 or June 21, the sun will shine on us at some point in the day.

That's the thing about the dark . . . it doesn't last forever and even the smallest amount of light breaks through to help keep us from stumbling.  Oh, we may not have the clear vision that full sunlight provides; but when there is even a little light we are more confident that we won't be cracking any of our toes into pieces of furniture.

Like the sun is the physical center of our solar system, providing light and sustenance for us who orbit around it, Jesus is the spiritual center of our religious solar system, providing light and sustenance for us drawn into his orbit.  That's not to say that every day is sunny and bright.  It's not to say that every morning we wake up with cheerful Beatles songs running through our heads.  Some days we do.  Some days it takes us longer to see the light shining than other days.  And some days, because of where we are in our orbit, it can seem like there is hardly any light at all.

The dark won't last.  The dark can't last.  Even the smallest amount of light will break through.  So as we begin the downward slide to less light and more darkness of the fall and winter, know that the sun will rise; and remember that the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness cannot overcome it.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment