Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Nov. 26, 2014

If one works hard, you can lay a new foundation at every moment. – Abba Silvanus

When I was younger, I tried living a week at a time.  Most of you know that I am a cradle Episcopalian, and when I got to be about 14 or so I really started looking at Sunday worship differently.  It was no longer something I had to do, or was forced to do, but I began to see in worship a day of refreshment, a day of renewed strength, a day when I could once again get right with God and move forward in the week.  I began to take the words of Eucharistic Prayer C to heart: Deliver [me] from the presumption of coming to this Table for solace only, and not for strength; for pardon only, and not for renewal.

I began trying to live one week at a time, Sunday to Sunday, Communion to Communion.

When I was in seminary, there was an expectation that you would attend at least one worship service a day.  I usually tried for two – Morning Prayer and the 11:15 Eucharist.  It was during that time when worship became an every day thing, and not just a Sunday thing.  And what used to be a period of weekly renewal slowly became a daily renewal.  Rather than saving up all my sins and transgressions and celebrations and thanksgivings during the week, it became a daily practice.

That daily practice of laying a holy foundation continues today through the Daily Offices.  As I go through the day, I try to remember how it started and to live into that way of being each and every day.  It's not always easy.  Some days are better than others.  But the desire to continually improve and build an ever stronger foundation is there.

Everyone is different in this respect.  For some, a weekly reminder is enough.  Others could benefit from the practice of daily prayer.  Others could be helped by attending the midweek Eucharist.  Still others need hourly reminders of where and how their foundation is to be built.

I think this is what Abba Silvanus was getting at.  Living life is hard.  Being human is difficult.  There are temptations and distractions around every corner and down every road we travel.  It's hard to live in a world that assaults all our senses and to remember to whom we belong.  It's hard, but it's necessary.

Every moment of every hour of every day of every week of every month of every year strive to remember to whom you belong.  Strive to remember that you were created in love and to reflect that love to the world.  And when you become distracted, when you build with some other material than love, when you turn inward, remember to whom you belong and for whom you are building; and then tear down the beginnings of what you began and work again on the foundation of God.

It's not easy, but if you work hard, you can lay a new foundation at every moment if you choose.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment